Thorough, accurate and independent building inspections
24 hour turn-around time with thorough building reports delivered via email.
of entire property – access permitting – includes roof space, roof exterior and subfloor
full analysis, advice and recommendations – if you want to attend, just tell us!
One Call Does It All
Happy to organise reputable pest inspectors and access through the real estate agent, just leave it to us
Emergency inspections can usually be accommodated - Saturdays by request
Covering Gold Coast, Tweed Coast and Byron Bay Areas
Fully licensed and insured in both Queensland & New South Wales
I couldn’t be happier with the professional service provided by Dwell. Not only is Jason prompt, thorough and efficient, but also super friendly and helpful – going above and beyond expectations. I have used them multiple times and they ensure a quick response – both in setting up the inspection time and sending the report through. They also organised pest inspections for me. Really happy with their great customer service and friendly, down to earth approach.
I have used this company twice now and will keep using them. First time was for an apartment I am buying in Kingscliff, and secondly to do a pre-sale inspection for our existing home near Byron Bay so we know what needs to be done before we put the place on the market. Very thorough, reliable, and fast. Great value for money too. And on top of that Jason’s super friendly and helpful. So happy to recommend Dwell and Jason’s building inspection services.
Jason and his team undertook 2 building and pest inspections for me. The purchase was as an investment property and as such, and I was reliant on his keen eye to pick up on any costly defects down the track. Not only that, but the report also went over and above all other building and pest reports I have seen. His keen eye for building and design meant I was able to make a far more educated decision. I couldn’t recommend Dwell Building Services more for their professionalism, service and exceptional attention to detail.
Amy (Bilambil Heights)
10 Things you MUST know BEFORE you have a Pest & Building Inspection Done
Because you don’t buy property every day of the week, we want to help you with the nuts and bolts of what we do best! How much do you really know about the pest and building inspection?
1. You’re welcome to attend the inspection and if you have any specific concerns with the property, you should. You can use the inspection appointment to ask more questions and have a second/third/fourth look at the property and it’s a good opportunity to measure the fridge space.
2. A thorough inspection should include the site, the exterior elements (walls, windows, doors), the general interior and if there is a manhole, the roof interior. As long as the roof of the building it isn’t higher than 3.6m and it’s not raining or dangerous, the roof exterior should be inspected too.
3. Depending on the size of the property, an inspection typically takes around an hour. If you are attending the inspection we suggest that you don’t arrive until about mid-way through the hour, just so you don’t spend a load of time standing around.
4. Building inspections are all governed by an Australian Standard (AS 4349.1) but individual companies can give more or less information depending on how much work they want to do – they don’t have to take photos and they don’t have to point out maintenance items however we believe your report should be detailed and include photos.
5. If you get a pest and building inspection done by a single operator, you might save a bit of money but it’s quite likely the inspector is a builder who has done a 2-day pest inspection course – always ask how long a pest inspector has been in the termite game, you want experience!
6. The average cost of a pest and building inspection varies wildly (between $360 and $600+). Like most situations, you need to compare apples and apples and you always get what you pay for so going for the lowest price usually means you’ll get the least service/information.
7. The insurance companies that insure inspectors are very strict about the wording of the reports…sometimes to the point of being over-cautionary!! Always discuss the report with the inspector after reading it, there can be some scary bits in there.
8. Building inspections do not cover plumbing/electrical however if we spot something suspicious (and experienced builders always do!), it will be flagged for further investigation by the appropriate trade.
9. Only take a referral from your real estate agent if you trust them. Inspectors should not have any other agenda beyond helping you, their client – you don’t want one who is “in the pocket” of the agent – you won’t know if you’re getting a watered-down version of things.
10. There is no such thing as a Pass or Fail when it comes to pest and building inspections (did I read that right??). Yes, you did! We can’t tell you whether or not to buy a house, but we can give you the best possible information to make that important choice. There’s an element of risk in everything you do and we want you to know the level of risk you are taking on.
Our inspections are as per AS4349.1 (2007) “Property Inspections – Residential Buildings”
Jason Dodds, Proprietor and Building Inspector at Dwell Building Services is fully licensed and insured to operate in both NSW and QLD